Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Short Report: 2016 Kia Optima SX is an impressive all-rounder in the midsize family sedan class

When I started working in the auto industry back in 2000, Kia was antithetical to quality and reliability. Despite low prices and, starting at around the same time, an industry-leading warranty, consumers told me that buying a Kia made them nervous, that choosing one represented a risk, and that the issues they expected to crop up would create inconvenience.
Plus, back then, Kias weren’t exactly easy on the eyes.
But now, in 2016, the times they have a-changed, and Kia has become a brand to watch. Just ask LeBron James. While the King himself does not drive a 2016 Kia Optima, the nearly loaded SX model that I tested commands attention even without his endorsement. It’s sharp looking, fun to drive, and feature-for-feature is one of the best-priced midsize sedans out there.

A family car with attitude...

With Kia’s signature tiger-nose grille, the Optima SX looks like it’s ready to pounce, without being overly aggressive. The grille has elegance, wrapping gently into crisp bi-Xenon HID headlights. A sloping roofline means the car looks pulled taut, ready to perform. It’s an athlete on the starting line, or as the case may be, a family car with some attitude.
My test model, the SX Turbo with Premium Technology Package, came well equipped, as it should for a sticker price of $35,315. The SX’s black leather interior, accented with red stitching, looks sporty, upscale, and especially sharp with the Remington red exterior. The dash has what I would call a traditional, if somewhat old-school, look. It screams of a German design influence: simple, with clean lines and nicely integrated materials.
Unfortunately, some of the interior details looked or felt cheap, not quite matching the Optima’s upscale look.
For example, the side mirror controls seemed misaligned in my test car. The print on the infotainment system’s hard keys also seemed like it would not wear well over time. Small details. More concerning is that the more I drove on the rough city streets of Los Angeles, the more rattles I heard.
Maybe it’s due to lingering bias, but I couldn’t help but wonder: How will this car hold up in the long run? On the other hand, while I was in possession of the Optima J.D. Power released its 2016 Initial Quality Study (IQS), where Kia topped the list of brands for quality, making it the first non-luxury brand to do so in 27 years. Maybe it’s time I squash that old bias, once and for all?

...amped up by a long list of luxury car details

The number of features on my test model blew me away. The 12-way power adjustable driver’s seat with 4-way lumbar was impressive enough, but add to this an 8-way power adjustable passenger seat with 2-way lumbar, and Kia is beating some of the luxury competitors at their own game. You might be surprised to know that a height adjustable passenger seat, powered or otherwise, is not a given, even for a luxury brand.
Other upgraded features included memory for the driver’s seating position, heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, a heated steering wheel, automatic power-folding side mirrors, a Harman Kardon premium surround sound audio system, and a 360-degree Surround View Monitor, which is a savior in tight parking situations. And that’s just the start...

Impressive user-friendly technology...

The layout of the Infotainment system is intuitive. The clearly labeled hard keys can be used to toggle between functions, but I did not use them because I preferred the large 8-inch touch screen, which proved responsive and easy to use. My only complaint is that the virtual “home” button could be larger and easier to spot.
Kia’s voice recognition technology worked surprisingly well. The system recognized most of what I said, even if it was rather slow to respond. Still, I would rather have a slow system that understands me than a fast system that keeps saying, “Pardon?” until I’m ready to throw something at the screen.
As this review was written, only Android Auto smartphone projection technology is offered on the 2016 Optima. I’m a Mac girl, but I did not miss Apple CarPlay because the vehicle’s Your Voice (UVO) infotainment system proved sufficient for my purposes. I did, however, engage Siri Eyes Free for one key function: voice texting.

...combined with a full suite of driver assistance features

The SX Turbo’s Technology Package includes many driver assistance features, and they are impressive. For example, the Advanced Smart Cruise Control’s braking and accelerating was seamless and subtle. The blind spot warning system was alert, expertly picking up cars and motorcycles zipping past, and the lane departure warning system was responsive almost to a fault, especially on winding roads. Thank goodness for the “off” button.
However, just as I was getting giddy about their capabilities, I had a quibble with the forward collision warning system’s alerts, which were so subtle I almost missed them. I know the point of this technology is to assist you and not to jar you with too many ringing bells and flashing lights. Still, if the warnings are so subtle to not grab your attention when distracted, how are they ultimately going to prevent accidents?

A little stutter when stepping on the gas...

The Optima SX is equipped with a 2.0-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine that delivers 245 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. While the engine is plenty powerful, I found the 6-speed automatic transmission to shift roughly, especially in stop-and-go-traffic, or to delay shifts, such as when punching it to get out of another driver’s way. Part of the hesitation I felt could be attributed to turbo lag, which was barely noticeable. Typically, when accelerating hard in a straight line, it didn’t take much to get this midsize sedan moving.

...but capable and enjoyable the more it’s driven

On open roads, the more I drove the SX, the more I liked it. It feels like a big car, but when pushed, it’s surprisingly agile, capable and fun in many driving conditions.
Steering is precise if a bit heavy, and I didn’t feel much body roll when taking canyon curves, even if I did slide around in my seat a bit. The Optima SX may not be exactly what I would call a true “sport sedan,” but it certainly pumps up the excitement more than is expected from a front-wheel-drive sedan that is racking up accolades as a top choice among “family cars.”
There are certainly plenty of family car seekers who still want to enjoy their drive, and the Optima SX delivers, with reasonable gas mileage. The EPA rating in combined driving is 25 mpg, which is exactly what I observed on my test drive loop.

The 2016 Kia Optima SX is no bench warmer


In the midsize sedan segment, there are many strong players. The Optima SX is no equivalent to LeBron James, though I’m not sure any of Optima’s direct competitors are either. Instead, consider this Kia to be an incredible supporting player like Tristan Thompson. He looks like he’s happy to be in the game, plays hard and does his job consistently, and brings genuine value to the team.
The 2016 Kia Optima SX is no different. It looks sporty without being flashy, provides consistently solid performance and handling, and offers a ton of value in its class. It is the automotive equivalent of a pro athlete who can hang with the stars, and it is certainly worthy of your attention.

No comments: