Sunday, July 12, 2015

2016 Kia Sorento Long-Term Test: Let The Driving Begin

I just took delivery of the new 2016 Kia Sorento crossover vehicle that I’ll be driving for the next 12 months in a long-term test. During this year, I’ll be able to report on the nuances of the Sorento experience in detail in a way that no ordinary launch experience or one-week test drive could ever reveal. I’ll keep careful records of all fuel, oil, filter and other expendables used. I’ll perform (or have a technician perform) all routine maintenance according to the manufacturer’s schedule, and I’ll note and deal with any failures or defects I encounter. Even more importantly, I’ll really dig in to the features on the car, especially the electronics. I almost never have time to fully explore the telematics and infotainment options on a new vehicle. With the Sorento sticking around for a year, I’ll be able to pair multiple cellphone brands, Bluetooth accessories, memory sticks and other add-ons that vehicle owners might find useful. I’ll customize and tweak all of the factory settings, and I’ll report back on what I discover. It’s going to be a busy year.



The Sorento is the latest vehicle in the Kia lineup to receive a thorough makeover. 2016 begins the third generation of the mid-sized SUV. The first generation Sorento (2003-2010) was a genuine, body-on-frame SUV. The 2011 Sorento began the second generation, and was truly all-new with unibody construction and virtually no shared parts with the first generation vehicle outside of the engine bay. Production moved to the new factory in West Point, Georgia, and sales really took off. For the year 2014, Kia sold 102,520 Sorento crossover vehicles, representing nearly 18% of the Kia sales total. Making changes to the Sorento for the 2016 model year is a high stakes game, then.
I’m that guy who thinks that crossover vehicles can be elegant and attractive. I really liked the looks of the second generation Sorento, and I like the third generation’s appearance even more. Under the direction of Peter Schreyer, Kia’s global chief of design, Sorento has moved from a Men’s Warehouse off-the-rack look to a tailored Hugo Boss sharpness. A new upright edition of the Kia “tiger-mouth” grille graces the front of the vehicle, which then sweeps back from there. The wheelbase has been extended by 3.1”, and the wheels appear to have moved out to the corners of the Sorento, which should be good for maneuvering and parking. Base models get 17” wheels. My test vehicle, an SX-Limited, comes with 19” alloy wheels that look great. LED fog lamps and LED taillights are standard on the SX-Limited, as well. Projector-style Halogen headlamps are still standard, with Xenon HID headlamps available as part of an option package. My test vehicle has the SXL Technology Package ($2,500), which includes the HID lamps.
Jumping into the driver’s seat, I’m impressed with the level of fit and finish inside the Sorento. Material choices have definitely gone up a notch, and there have been some very nice choices made. In particular, I like the stitching on the seams of the dashboard, which make me think about the process and the people who made it. I really like the rounded rectangular shape that is repeated three times on the dash, around the outboard HVAC vents and around the nav screen and vents. Three is a magic number in design, and it works to bring the horizontally-arrayed design together, giving a balanced feel.
The dash, steering wheel and center console are awash in buttons and switches. Most of them make immediate sense, but some are going to demand attention and study. This will be an interesting process during the long term of this vehicle test. How long will it take for me to determine the function of all of those controls, and how long before operating them becomes second nature?

The gear selector is pretty traditional, a lever in the left hand side of the center console. Banging it to the left engages a direct shift mode – there are no steering wheel-mounted paddle shifters on the Sorento. I tend to put my vehicles into D and let the electronics manage the transmission, but I’ll explore this direct shifting mode, too.
My test vehicle’s SX-L Technology Package comes with a suite of systems in addition to the HID headlamps that I mentioned earlier: Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS); Forward Collision Warning System; Electronic Parking Brake; Surround View Monitor; and Smart Cruise Control. I expect most of these sophisticated systems on a luxury vehicle, not on a Kia. I’ll report on how well they work, and whether $2,500 for the package is the bargain that it feels like right now.
The SX-L also comes with quite a suite of electronics, including UVO eServices Telematics with a rear camera display and navigation system, Bluetooth streaming audio, SiriusXM satellite radio, Infinity Surround Sound Audio and more. I’ve already paired my iPhone 5S to the system, and I’m working to tame the car’s tendency to give me a message about downloading my contacts every single time I drive. I’ve got to figure that one out, because it will drive me insane.
I’ve had passengers in the second row already, and they’ve been very pleased with the room and comfort. They especially like the Panoramic Sun Roof, which really opens up the interior and makes it feel roomier and airier.
I love the cargo space, especially the 38 cubic feet of storage behind the second row and its covered underfloor storage compartment. One of the sacrifices you make with a crossover vehicle versus a sedan is hidden trunk space, and Sorento solves this dilemma with a compartment that’s big enough for a purse or briefcase to hide, completely out of view. Flopping the second row flat is easy, and opens up 73 cubic feet of cargo space with a flat load floor. Some trim levels of Sorento have an available or standard third row seat, but not my test vehicle. I have had a chance to crawl around in the third row, and it is more than adequate for short rides, even for adults. But it’s still a compromise in a mid-sized crossover vehicle, and I’m glad that my Sorento (see how possessive I’m getting?) doesn’t have one.
Sorento comes with a choice of three engine configurations for 2016: a normally aspirated (non-turbo) 2.4-liter inline 4-cylinder (185 hp/178 lb-ft of torque); a 2.0-liter turbo inline 4-cylinder (240 hp/260 lb-ft of torque); and a normally aspirated 3.3-liter V6 (290 hp/252 lb-ft of torque). All three engines are gasoline-powered and 50-state ULEV-rated when running on Regular gas. Each engine can be matched with either front-wheel drive or full-time all-wheel drive, and each gets a 6-speed automatic transmission with Sportmatic shifting. I drove both the 2.4 and the V6 at a recent launch event, and now I’m driving the 2.0T in my test car. It’s kind of a Goldilocks situation here – the 2.4 is the most fuel-efficient choice, but it feels a little underpowered and overmatched by the Sorento’s 3,700-lb plus curb weight. The V6 has good grunt, but gets ticked with 18 mpg city/26 mpg highway fuel economy ratings. The 2.0T feels just right, with power to motivate the Sorento briskly while still achieving 20 mpg city/27 mpg highway ratings from the EPA. We’ll see how it does under my heavy right foot during the year.

The trim level breakdown works out to eight separate trims (L 2.4, LX 2.4, EX 2.0T, SX-L 2.0T, LX V6, EX V6, SX V6 and SX-L V6), each of which can be ordered in FWD or AWD. That’s 16 build combinations, for those of you keeping track. Prices start at $24,900 for the base L and step up predictably to $43,100 for the Limited V6 AWD. My test vehicle, a 2016 SX-Limited 2.0T FWD, carries a $39,900 base price ($43,295 as tested).
My journey with the Sorento has just begun. I’ll be collecting impressions and data all year long, and reporting back here on a monthly basis as the loan continues. I’m not going to modify the Sorento, though I may add some accessories that owners might be interested in. I’ll dive deeply into the dashboard, exploring UVO and all of the other mysteries that escape a cursory test. I’ll make an effort to compare and contrast the Sorento with its current competitors, including the Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, the Ford Edge, Nissan Murano, Toyota Venza, Honda Pilot, and others.
The good news is, this will be a fun year. My first impressions of the Sorento are very positive, and I keep making discoveries (oh, is that at 110-volt AC outlet hidden there?) that delight and surprise me. I’m looking forward to sharing my impressions, both positive and negative, with you, and to experiencing a real world, long-term test in the 2016 Kia Sorento.

No comments: